Six tips to safely manage waste in warm weather
At higher temperatures, waste can expand, build pressure, and even become unstable and react—sometimes violently. Solvent wastes and other high vapor pressure materials are particularly susceptible to expansion and building pressure in a closed container.
In an effort to optimize the management of your waste, here are several tips to help you and your team stay safe and compliant during the warmer months.
- If you have waste that has the potential to react or polymerize at elevated temperatures (up to 130°F), notify your Environmental Services Account Manager prior to scheduling a shipment so adequate safeguards can be put in place.
- When possible, store waste indoors or in a cool, protected, and contained area.
- Check your containers regularly during accumulation and storage. By visually inspecting each container on a regular basis, you are more likely to notice changes in appearance. This includes a critical final inspection of all containers prior to them leaving your facility for disposal.
- Make sure that all of your employees handling hazardous waste are properly trained to fill and prepare waste containers for transporting during warm weather.
- Allow adequate head space for the waste (3-6 inches minimum). Additional head space should be provided for high vapor pressure wastes. Do not overfill containers. Do not offer containers for shipment that are under pressure, bulging, or in poor condition. Waste transport drivers are instructed not to pick up containers showing signs of pressure or that are otherwise compromised.
- Ensure your waste makeup matches its waste profile. If waste is materially different than the original signed profile, contact your Customer Service Representative or Account Manager to have the profile revised or a new profile created prior to shipment.
Department of Transportation hazmat shipping regulations state that any waste container that becomes deformed due to excessive pressure may be structurally compromised and is not safe for transport.
Peace of mind
At Univar Solutions, we strive to provide you confidence and peace of mind. Working with us, you can be certain that your waste is handled with the utmost care and control. Please make sure that everyone in your organization who is involved with handling your waste receives a copy of this checklist. Together we can ensure that this summer is incident free!